You can use grayscale masks in conjunction with Paint Shop Pro's masking feature to create interesting edge effects. This site and many others offer free grayscale masks you can download for this purpose. These instructions should work for Paint Shop Pro version 6 and higher.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Open the mask and the photo you wish to apply the mask to.
- For the photo you'll be applying the mask to, right click the Background in the Layer Palette and choose Promote to Layer.
- Choose Masks > New > From Image.
- In the source window drop-down menu choose the name of the mask image. Create mask from source luminance should also be selected.
- Click OK and the mask is instantly applied to the layer.
- If you're happy with the results you may wish to merge the mask with the layer. (Masks > Delete > answer Yes when asked about merging).
- These steps were verified in Paint Shop Pro 7, but should work in v6 exactly the same and can probably be adapted for earlier versions as well.