1. Technology

No Scanning Directly into Photoshop CS4 64-bit

By January 17, 2009

The other day I was working on a project in Photoshop and wanted to scan something. I looked in the usual File menu for the Acquire command, but it was nowhere to be found. I did some searching later and discovered a thread on the Adobe Forums explaining that a TWAIN driver is not installed in the 64-bit version of Photoshop because "there is no TWAIN standard for 64 bit Windows. Photoshop cannot support a standard that does not exist."

When another member pointed out that there is, in fact, an API for TWAIN 64-bit support, the thread was left with a "we'll look into it" from Adobe's rep almost two months ago. This is rather disappointing for such an expensive piece of software, especially one in which scanning in an integral part for many users. In the end, I went to my beloved, free XnView software to do my scanning, and the multi-step process of getting the scanned image into Photoshop.

Note that Photoshop CS4 64-bit version does support scanning via the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) interface if your scanner is also supported by WIA, but this is often much more limited than scanning with TWAIN.

I wonder what other limitations exist in the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS4. Have you found any?

Comments
January 22, 2009 at 10:40 am
(1) Bob Daly says:

I have been looking around for software for my Sony 64 bit laptop. Now, after hearing this about scanning problems with Photoshop…maybe I’ll wait just a bit and see how it all comes out.

February 3, 2009 at 4:54 pm
(2) Jim C says:

Have run into the same 64 bit problem with a Nikon film scanner – uses an outsource twain connection – but no 64 bit support – oh vista!

April 18, 2009 at 8:01 pm
(3) Justin Cherry says:

If you purchase CS4 64-bit, it also comes with a 32-bit version. I’ve run into this problem with 64-bit CS4 not recognizing certain things (filters, printer software), but I’ve been able to get around it by running the 32-bit CS4 for scanning and printing, and running the 64-bit CS4 to do everything else. Hopefully that helps!

June 19, 2009 at 1:52 am
(4) wandera says:

i agree with you. i installed cs4 elements on my pc but the scanning window is very un stable. for me to scan i need to open it several times. well, i finally scan but its time wasting as the window keeps shutting.

July 7, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(5) Ken says:

I’m unable to find the goodies folder on my CS4 discs to add the twain for scanning film at any bit size. In CS2 scanning film, making contact sheets and creating Web Galleries was very easy. I think they are available and I want to use them. Help

January 23, 2010 at 8:46 pm
(6) Michael says:

Re article on cs4 64bit, scanner not frond, that is true
I have noticed that in either Vista Ultimate Or Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit versions operating systems; that Photoshop cs4 installs two versions of Photoshop I.E 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. Use the 32 bit version and it finds the scanner no problem with WIA support or twain or it has done on my Canon scanner not sure on any other brand

August 27, 2012 at 5:59 am
(7) Alex Puddephatt says:

I’ve had tons of trouble trying to get my scanner (Epson 1650) to work on my new Win7x64 build. It doesn’t work with 32-bit or 64-bit Adobe software or non-adobe software. In my case (maybe others too) I think the lack of a 64-bit protocol/standard means Windows has stopped it working not jsut Photoshop or the image software as I have tried many other applications both 32-bit and 64-bit.

I’m thinking of dual booting with my old WinXP 32-bit & old 32-bit applications for scanning as a solution but I’ve got to get my old HDD to talk to the new system as a boot drive, which is proving tricky.

August 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm
(8) Sue Chastain says:

It’s up to Epson to release a 64-bit driver for the scanner. If it’s an older scanner they’re probably just not supporting it anymore. I had the same problem with my Mom’s computer when she upgraded to a new 64-bit system. One of the downsides to progress…

Instead of dual booting, you may want to look into running a virtual machine inside Windows with something like VirtualBox.