Here's a quick and easy way to cut a picture into a shape using the preset shapes in Paint Shop Pro X2.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Open the picture you want to cut out.
- In the layers palette, right click on the background and choose "Promote Background Layer"
- Select the preset Shape Tool and choose a shape for your cutout. I am using the heart shape that comes with Paint Shop Pro.
- Click and drag inside the image to create the heart shape.
- Using the handles that surround the shape, adjust the size, rotation and position of the heart, if desired. You can reduce the opacity of the vector layer while you do this so you can better see how the shape is positioned in relation to the picture in the layer below.
- When you are happy with the position of the shape, go to Selections > From Vector Object.
- Then go to Image > Crop to selection.
- Delete or hide the vector shape layer.
- Now you can copy and paste the cutout image to use it in another document, or save it out as a transparent PNG file to use in other software.
- You can use this method to make other kinds of cutouts using text or whatever you can make into a selection.