The Bottom Line
- Excellent value for the money--integrated applications fulfill a variety of graphics needs.
- The software and all content is now delivered on a single DVD.
- Interactive tools let you to control options in the workspace--without intrusive dialog boxes.
- Impressive import/export file format compatibility--support for more than 100 formats.
- Native RAW support in Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
- Version X3 users don't have a lot of compelling reasons to upgrade.
- PHOTO-PAINT has finally gotten some attention, but still lags behind many photo editors.
- The CorelDRAW Suite has always been a bit weak in the Web graphics department.
- Often snubbed by some design professionals and service bureaus (printing services).
- For Windows Vista/XP only--Macintosh and Windows 2000/98/Me are no longer supported.
- CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 is a bundle of applications for illustration, page layout, photo editing, and Web graphics.
- Provides exceptional value for design professionals, business users, teachers, students, and home users.
- Includes CorelDRAW, PHOTO-PAINT, PowerTRACE, CAPTURE, Font Navigator, bar code wizard, and more.
- Includes more than 10,000 pieces of clip art and digital images, 1000 hi-res photos, 1000 fonts, and 80 templates.
- Supports more than 100 file types, EXIF data from digital cameras, RAW camera files, and pressure-sensitive drawing tablets.
- New: Integrates with Windows Vista Instant Search and Windows Desktop Search with indexed content and Explorer thumbnails.
- New: WhattheFont integration for font identification. ConceptShare for online collaboration.
- New: Interactive table layout, independent page layers, live text formatting, mirror paragraph text, quotation mark editing.
- New in PAINT: Real-time histogram, RAW support, straighten tool, more precise curves adjustment.
- Improved: Print merge, PowerTRACE with new centerline trace method, PDF Import, modernized interface, new format support.
Guide Review - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4
The Suite was significantly improved for version X3 with new tools for drawing and image editing, improvements to text handling, and a completely re-worked raster-to-vector conversion tool. Version X4 builds on the performance and stability of X3, and introduces a smaller set of enhancements, mostly in the area of page layout and typography.
When Graphics Suite X3 was released, I said the upgrade was a "no brainer." That's still true for users of version 12 and below, but users of version X3 will not see as significant a change in this version. The new features are very welcome and practical, they just might not impact every user in a big way.
As with X3, the Suite includes a printed User Guide, a spiral-bound Digital Content Manual, and quick reference card; plus you get two hours of training videos and the CorelDRAW Handbook: "Insights from the Experts." Simplifying the installation process, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 is now delivered a single DVD which contains the software and bonus content.
Despite its intuitive workspace and impressive versatility, CorelDRAW has been snubbed by some industry professionals, yet it is a very capable design tool. For design pros, small businesses, home users, students, and educators, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4's ease of use and value are extremely tough to beat.