There are several ways to create outlined text in Photoshop, but most require you to render the text. Here's a technique for a thick outline that allows the type to remain editable.
Time Required: 2 minutes
- Select the type tool and create your text.
- Control-click on the type layer (Command-click on Mac). This creates a selection around the type.
- Set the foreground color to the desired outline color.
- Click the new layer button on the layers palette.
- Go to Edit > Stroke
- Set the width to the desired amount.
- Set the Location to Outside.
- Click OK.
- If you edit the text, you'll need to trash the outline layer and recreate it.
- For a thinner outline, the layer effects method is preferred (see related information below).
- For a ragged outline, set the layer blend mode to dissolve and lower the opacity.
- For a gradient filled outline, Ctrl-click (Command-click on Mac) on the outline layer, and fill the selection with a gradient.