You can define any image or selection as a pattern that can be used as a fill in Photoshop. These instructions apply to Photoshop versions 4 through 5.5.
Time Required: 2 minutes
- Open the image you'd like to use as a fill.
- If you want to use the entire image as your fill, go to Select > Select All. Otherwise, use the rectangle marquee tool to make a selection.
- Go to Edit > Define Pattern.
- Go to another image or create a new image.
- Select the layer you want to fill or make a selection.
- Go to Edit > Fill.
- In the Fill dialog, set the contents to use "Pattern" and click OK.
- Only rectangular selections can be defined as a pattern.
- Check the box to Preserve Transparency in the Fill dialog if you only want to fill the non-transparent portions of a layer.