The Bottom Line
JPEGCrops is a handy free tool to help you quickly rotate and crop a batch of digital photos to standard print sizes without loss of quality.
- Free - no ads, nags, or spyware
- Add custom sizes and aspect ratios to the menu.
- Rename cropped files; preserves EXIF, IPTC and other metadata.
- No option to resample images.
- Only supports JPEG files.
- Auto renaming of duplicates and "Rule of Thirds" guidelines would be nice additions.
- Quickly rotate and crop multiple photos to standard photo sizes without loss of quality.
- Simple 3-step process: Open multiple images, specify output folder, and define the crop area.
- Customize image preview size, window layout, crop shield appearance, and preset sizes menu.
- Preview PPI as you adjust crop size. Color changes when resolution goes below 150 or 300 PPI.
- Quickly flip between portrait and landscape orientation; rotate images 90 degrees left or right.
- Specify new file names for cropped files or let the program automatically add a prefix or suffix.
- Program prompts user before overwriting an existing file but doesn't auto-rename the new file.
- Windows freeware. No installation required; only generates files in the installation folder.
- The program is localized to Danish, Dutch, German, Hungarian, and Polish.
Guide Review - JPEGCrops for Windows (version 0.6.5 beta)
Most digital cameras save your photos to the JPEG format which uses a lossy compression scheme. The good side is that JPEG images can be made quite small, but the down side is that some quality is lost each time a JPEG is saved if certain aspects of the image have been changed. With most photo editing software, cropping and saving JPEGs recompresses the image, resulting in more loss.
JPEGCrops is a free program to allow cropping of JPEG without loss of quality. In addition, it makes it very fast and easy to crop a batch of multiple images. It comes with most common photo sizes already predefined, and you can easily add your own custom sizes. You can specify a the output folder for the processed pictures or change the file names of the cropped photos--JPEGCrops will never overwrite your originals without warning. You can also customize other aspects of the program such as appearance, layout, and how metadata and time stamps are handled.
JPEGCrops is just what I have been looking for and I hope you will find it useful, too! Besides being free, it's a small download, and the program doesn't modify your registry or install any files outside its own directory.