1. Computing

Sue Chastain

Filmstrip View and Customize Option Missing From "My Pictures"

By July 13, 2005

Yesterday, I noticed the "Filmstrip" view was suddenly no longer an option for viewing the "My Pictures" folder in Windows XP. I knew the way to fix this was to go to folder Properties, Customize tab, and set the folder type to a pictures folder... but, lo and behold... the Customize tab was also missing from the Properties dialog! After searching Microsoft and the Web for a solution and finding nothing, I eventually fixed it myself. If this happens to you, here's what you can do to fix it...
  1. Rename the original "My Pictures" folder (just add an X to the end or something)
  2. Make a new "My Pictures" folder
  3. Use TweakUI to re-set the new folder as "My Pictures." (From Tweak UI, look under My Computer > Special Folders)
  4. Go under TweakUI > Repair and choose "Repair My Pictures icon"
  5. Move everything over from the old folder (the one you renamed) to the new My Pictures folder.
  6. Restart or log off and back on.
Comments
July 9, 2006 at 2:06 am
(1) Daniel says:

I found a much easier fix on another forum:

- Control Panel
- System
- “Advanced” tab
- In the Performance box, click “Settings”
- Turn “Use common tasks in folders” ON. If it’s already on, click it OFF, hit Apply, then turn it ON again and hit OK.

Worked for me.

December 11, 2007 at 5:58 am
(2) Susan says:

Hi Daniel, Thank you very much, that was the perfect, easy fix for me too. Susan in Sydney

April 2, 2008 at 11:02 pm
(3) Tammy says:

–Once you’re in the “special folders” section of TweakUI, do you type in Repair in the “Folder:” box? I can’t seem to find “Repair” in TweakUI.

February 22, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(4) Kathy says:

Thanks Daniel,
Your fix was very simple and effective. You are awesome.
Kathy from Boise Id

May 19, 2009 at 4:54 am
(5) Boon Kalay says:

Great. You’re wonderful. It really helps.

December 18, 2009 at 4:14 pm
(6) Damien says:

Thank You Sue. I had to download and use the TweakUI method as Daniel’s didn’t work for me, it could be that I had just moved “My Documents” folder from my C drive

One thing I didn’t bother recreating the My Pictures folder. I just went into TweakUI and selected My Pictures as above clicked Change Location and went to its current location.
Two advantages I didn’t have to move any pictures or repair the icon.

March 16, 2011 at 1:47 am