1. Computing

Sue Chastain

Photo Story 3 - Free for Windows XP Users

By October 28, 2004

Earlier this week, Microsoft released Photo Story 3 as a free download for all users of Windows XP. Photo Story 3 allows you to create musical slide shows from your digital photo stills.

New features in Photo Story 3 include photo editing features, more special effects, advanced panning and zooming capabilities, and more options for saving and sharing your photo stories.

I was impressed with the "SE" version of Photo Story that came with Microsoft Digital Image Suite when I reviewed it last year, so it is exciting to see a more feature-full version being offered as a free download. I plan to check it out over the coming weekend.

Here is what Paul Thurrot says about it in his SuperSite for Windows:

Photo Story 3 is an almost perfect tool for digital photography enthusiasts and a must-have utility for anyone who enjoys their own digital photographs. The effects generated by this application are both stunning and compelling, and very similar to the photo slideshow capabilities that Media Center users enjoy... If you're an XP user, you simply must download Photo Story 3 today and get busy creating your own stories. [Paul Thurrott's Review of Photo Story 3]

Download Photo Story 3 from Microsoft
Questions? Join the discussion in the forum

On this site: Presenting Your Pictures

Comments
July 31, 2008 at 8:55 pm
(1) Robert says:

Program sucks. Porting pic’s was something else. No mater what you tried ‘it is the wrong path’.

Junk

July 5, 2009 at 11:13 pm
(2) David says:

This program sucks. It’s easy and simple to use yet it crashes quite a bit. Don’t bother with this MS crap.

November 12, 2009 at 10:31 am
(3) Larry says:

The description of Photo Story 3 was exactly what my wife needed. I ignored the two previous negative comments and downloaded it for her. It was easy to use and had all the features she need to create a wonderful ten minute slideshow with music for a recognition banquet.

She experienced no crashes on XP or Vista. The only problem was an error about disk space once, even though there was plenty of disk space. She deleted old copies of the saved project and that resolved the error.

If your needs are simple I think you’ll find this fits the bill.

February 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm
(4) saniismail says:

never had a problem although using vista. there is no perfect software in this world….i give 8 out of 10 to this..

November 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm
(5) KOOLGENTS says:

WELL NOT ONLY CAN I FIND THE DOWNLOAD LINK, ANY OTHERE LINK THAT PERTAINS TO DOWNLOADING IT JUST DONT WORK.

April 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm
(6) Annika says:

I am twelve years old and my computer class has to use this for a project. its perfect.

July 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm
(7) Hope says:

I’m using photostory 3 and I’ve purchased some music from Amazon to use. When I try to attach the music it tells me the file is not a valid music file. When I play it, it plays music ???Any help???

November 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm
(8) ok42day says:

I read this site and thought this sounded too good to be true. It was. I wanted to download something I could use WITHOUT the internet. I ended up downloading at least four different things that took up huge amounts of space that wanted to take over my internet home page. I uninstalled it without even trying. I didn’t want to change my browser in any way.